Thursday, November 12, 2009

First Lab Visit Today

This morning Kim drove me to the Quest Diagnostics in Lee's Summit for my first PT/INR test. The PT/INR (Prothrombin Time or Pro Time) blood test measures how quickly the blood begins to form clots. With the new mechanical valve I'll have to take blood thinners to maintain between 2.5 and 3.5 on the INR (International Normalized Ratio) scale.

OK now that you are all experts, on with my day. A pretty good one. After taking me to the lab for the test. Kim and I went to lunch which was very very nice. There are some benefits to having heart surgery.

After a nap, the energy draining morning has not had too much impact on how I feel.

I'll leave you with one interesting point. Yesterday while in the quiet bathroom I thought I heard the sink dripping. I looked around and it wasn't so I thought the toilet might be running a little water and thought I might have to fix it when I was back up to snuff. Didn't think anything else about it. Next time I went into the bathroom the same noise, and then it dawned on me. It was my mechanical valve ticking. Rather interesting noise, sound just like a clock (or water dripping / Kathleen thinks is sounds like PopRocks). Something to get used too. I hope it just keeps on clicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment